Location: Beaverton, OR
If you’ve got experience working for an early stage well-funded high growth start-up and would like to be our Software Engineering Manager, please read on. Our software engineers love working for us because we offer them really interesting and complex problems to solve, along with a flexible work schedule. So if this piques your interest, please reach out to us email@example.com. And do know we value and encourage diversity in the workplace and women, minorities, and veterans are highly encouraged to apply. Thank you!
Job Type: FTE
More about us and this role:
We believe that managers are servant leaders who will act with drive and urgency, yet always take the time to listen and to do the right thing. They constantly seek new ways to explain, coach, teach, enable, and bring out the best in everyone around them.
We’re a fast-paced high-growth start-up and we’re looking for a leader for our software engineering team. And if you want to code in this role that is not entirely out of the question especially at the beginning of your tenure with us.
We are looking for someone with prior technical skills (we’re a Linux shop) and someone that has worked their way up the ranks to be an engineering manager over time. We’re also looking for someone with process skills such as knowing the SDLC and more importantly when it makes sense to use a certain process over another process.
You’ll help decompose abstract user stories and break these stories down into small components for our software engineers. You’ll also help with code reviews, performance reviews, and overall help with mentoring and training up your team.
If you are interested we’d love to take a look at your resume. And please include a cover letter telling us what will make you successful in an engineering management role for a fast-growing startup.
• Management: You’ll be responsible for individual developer productivity and growth, potentially also other managers.
• Mentoring: Navigate challenging life situations, bolster collaboration and teamwork. Basic HR like approving time off, 1:1s.
• Release processes and tools: Work with the Atlassian stack (Bitbucket, Jira, Bamboo) to ensure a healthy release cadence.
• Cross-functional leadership: Collaborate with product and sales leaders to define project requirements and shape team priorities.
• A strong attitude of service towards co-workers and customers
• BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent practical experience.
• At least 4 years managing high-performing software engineering teams
• A proven track record of delivering high-quality software
• Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis, and software design
• Experience with Cloud environments such as AWS and Azure
• Natural ability to incrementally troubleshoot technical problems
• Ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks
• Ability to participate in an on-call rotation
This is a full-time position based at our corporate office in Beaverton, Oregon. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, stock options, and a gym membership.