Location: Tigard, OR
Our client's hardware products have been tremendously successful in the last five years having won multiple highly competitive programs. From a quantitative standpoint, production shipments having increased ~10 fold over the last three years. The VP of Hardware Engineering will build on this foundation. However, this position must be a key leader in developing the next generation of products incorporating innovations and new technologies that keep our client at the forward edge of products for our customers. This position is a senior leader who must possess a deep technical understanding of our products and in key circumstances be capable of representing the company and explaining our products’ capabilities to executive leadership in key programs.
This individual must truly understand, embrace and deliver on our client’s core values of quality products, outstanding customer service and teamwork. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of developing an engineering organization that develops innovative products with very high quality. As the VP of Hardware Engineering, you will work closely with other department heads, especially the VP of Sales.
If you’d be interested, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We value diversity in the workplace and encourage women, minorities, and veterans to apply. Thank you!
Job Type: FTE
This role is responsible for the oversight and management of three key areas within the company: Hardware Design, Network Engineering, and Manufacturing. In this position you will mentor, manage, and lead across multiple levels. This will include individually contributing engineers, Managers and Directors.
• Work directly with a staff of Mechanical, Electrical, and Systems engineers to develop new Hardware products. This is full life cycle including concept design and tradeoffs, detailed design, prototype procurement and build, engineering test, development of full documentation package for on-site manufacturing, transition to manufacturing, manufacturing support and field support/resolution of any problems/issues.
• Coordinate with VP Sales, CTO, and staff on definition of new products and customer needs.
• Manage existing and develop new HW partnerships with technology vendors.
• Provide normal development scheduling, budgets, and work load management.
• This is a hands-on position, where the VP of Hardware Engineering will be expected to contribute directly to the design process. Technical design knowledge is required.
• Ensure documentation packages (BOM’s, Piece Part Drawings, Assy Drawings, Production Tests and Assembly Plans) are complete.
• Provide technical support to the factory of existing products in terms of problem identification/resolution, process improvement, and minor product improvements. Lead the Network Engineering Team (Solutions)
• The network engineering team develops solution level products that incorporate network engineering expertise. These activities are primarily software integration, configuration, and performance characterization.
• Work with the Director of Systems Engineering on scheduling, work load, and prioritization. Provide guidance and mentoring.
• Provide technical insight and guidance as background and skills allow. Lead the Manufacturing Team
• A key to company success has been a very tight integration of the on-site manufacturing facility and engineering. The VP of HW Engineering must maintain this approach.
• Work with Director of Manufacturing on weekly/monthly production status.
• Actively participate in production problem identification and resolution.
• Provide technical support to vendor issue resolution (Quality, Schedule, Cost) Other
• Quality is a key characteristic of our client. While failures are few, they do occur. The VP of HW Engineering leads the RMA assessment process and response. At a tactical level this is adherence to repair/replacement time lines. At the strategic level this is analysis of RMA statistics and trends and resulting product improvements.
• The VP of Hardware Engineering will maintain and introduce the Ordering Guide. This document contains orderable Part Numbers and descriptions and is a key input to Sales. This will include reviewing quotes, answering questions, and resolving problems.
• The VP of Hardware Engineering must be effective and comfortable in briefing and working with key customers.
• The VP of Hardware Engineering controls and allocates the Hardware Products demonstration pool. Our client is very aggressive in getting sample units into customer hands for test and assessment. This is a key step in our sales strategy.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS REQUIRED:
• 5+ years’ experience in a VP level position with demonstrated track record of success.
• 15+ years’ experience in a product design organization of a technology company with increasing responsibility.
• Technical degree is required.
• This position requires strong technical skills
• Strong experience and knowledge of electrical design fundamentals from Schematic to Board Fabrication. Technologies include: High Speed Signal Transmission, Board Level Power System (5W – 50W), Microprocessor Based Systems, PoE, Networking Components, Multi-layer boards (14 layer), Blind and Buried Via, BGA’s, and LGA’s. Our electrical design tool is Altium.
• Strong experience and knowledge of mechanical design fundamentals for an environmentally rugged environment. Technologies include: Conductive and Convective Heat Transfer, Machined Metal Parts (Moderate Tolerance), Custom Cable design and fabrication, Sheet Metal Parts and Fabrication, Powder Coat, Anodize, Design for Shock and Vibration, Fabrication Drawing Generation, BOM Generation, and Familiarity with Moderate Volume Fabrication Techniques (100’s to low 1000’s of units). Our mechanical design tool is Solid Works.
• Strong expertise and experience in a moderate volume, final assembly, manufacturing environment.
• Knowledge of servers and embedded processor-based systems. These technologies are more as an integrator than a chip-up designer.
• Knowledge of Networking Hardware, Network Topologies, and Virtualization Strategies.
• Ability to direct/work with/motivate a highly technical staff, achieving outstanding performance
• Ability to communicate (verbal and written) technical concepts and capabilities to both technical and non-technical audiences in a manner which emphasizes the Value of Company Solutions.
• This position requires balancing multiple priorities, which sometimes change, in a manner which best meets company goals and our customers needs, while maintaining consistent task direction to the organizations staff so they can be effective in execution.
• Executive Leadership
• Established track record of leadership of a technical organization.
• Leadership style must be the embodiment of company core values of quality products, outstanding customer service, and teamwork.
Our client requires candidates to be a US Citizen, pass a background check, and pass a drug screen.