This Sr. DevOps Engineer role is fully remote and will require AWS expertise. Our travel industry client fosters a culture that is collaborative and outgoing whereby you can take ownership and run with it to the finish line. If you’re interested in this role, we would love to talk with you so please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We value and encourage diversity in the workplace and women, minorities, and veterans are highly encouraged to apply. Thank you!
Location: Remote This is a US-based, virtual/remote position working with a Pacific Time Zone-based team.
Our DevOps Engineers are DevOps champions responsible for enabling our software development teams to move fast—securely and efficiently. You will support teams as they create and maintain services, ensure that work is secure, reliable, and deployed repeatably, and drive innovation of your own, bringing the best-practices of the DevOps world to our infrastructure and automation. This is a highly collaborative position, and you will be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and Mentor on all things DevOps for us.
Top Three Outcomes for Year One
1. Become a Go-To expert – we are a team of specialists
2. Extend or create a developer self-service tool-less tedium, less “firefighting”
3. Aggressively document the things you do – so-called “tribal knowledge” is expensive
Duties and Responsibilities
- Seek out “things that should get done” and take pride in doing them when no one else thought they could happen
- Improve the velocity and self-sufficiency of the development teams. For our developers
- We give them tools to create their infrastructure,
- We provide documents and expertise on how to do that well, and
- As a last resort, we do DevOps-y things for them
- Be a dedicated subject-matter-expert DevOps resource with multiple development teams—the liaison between software development and infrastructure
- Design, build and extend our automated deployment pipelines supporting continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) for multiple teams
- Develop, document, and champion DevOps processes and tools across the organization
- Share team responsibility for our always-on 24/7, high-availability SaaS platform with a focus on performance and scalability
- Troubleshoot issues with SaaS products for and with the teams that build them
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- A love for creating innovative solutions that no one else has solved before
- Expertise and experience in Computer Science or related Information Technology field. A degree is great but far less important than what you know and who you are
- In-depth working knowledge (e.g. 4 years) of DevOps practices
- Solid scripting skill (e.g. 7 years) – especially Python for automation tools
- Experience (e.g. 5 years) with Windows 2012+, CentOS 7, and VMWare
- Demonstrated ability to learn, implement and evangelize new technologies
- Strong (e.g. 3 years) experience automating cloud (AWS highly preferred) and on-premise infrastructure
- Troubleshooting distributed applications
- Experience using configuration management tools like Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc.