Our client is seeking a Sr. Backend Developer. In this role, you’ll be working with a small and passionate team to solve exciting new problems in the outdoor space. In this role, you’ll be working to evolve and maintain the API and other backend systems. We are looking for people full of passion for solving interesting problems, collaborating, and all around just being a nice person to work with. If that’s you, we’d love to talk and please send your resume to email@example.com! We value and encourage diversity in the workplace and women, minorities, and veterans are highly encouraged to apply. Thanks!
Location: Remote position. The company is based in Portland, +/- 3 hours with PST.
About the company:
Our client is the #1 ranked camping app on both iOS and Android. With over 1 million user-submitted campgrounds, reviews, and tips — more than anyone else on the Internet — they make it easier to find campgrounds for the 80+ million Americans who camp.
Seeking a talented backend developer with a Ruby background to join the team as we solve exciting new problems in the outdoor space. In this role, you’ll be working to evolve and maintain our API, data processing pipelines, and other backend systems.
We’re looking for people who:
- Are great communicators — Effective communication is key to how we work. We value patience and empathy in our product planning, support, and day-to-day relations.
- Work well both collaboratively and independently — You’ll be working on a team of 2–3 developers. We come together to pair on tricky problems and architecture, then dive deep on individual tasks.
- Are ready to learn and share knowledge — Everyone comes to our company with their own set of skills and experiences. Cross-training, code review, mentorship, and curiosity all help us build better products
- Work closely with our web and mobile developers on the implementation of new product features
- Collaborate on API design and architecture decisions
- Diagnose and troubleshoot backend issues in production
- Maintain integrations with external services, such as Stripe, Iterable, Mapbox, and our campground partners
- Update and maintain existing API functionality
- 3+ years of backend development experience on production apps
- A strong knowledge of Ruby on Rails
- A solid understanding of object-oriented programming and design
- Relational database skills — we use PostgreSQL views, triggers, and functions
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Knowledge of JSON-API
- Familiarity with DevOps tools and cloud infrastructure management