2776 Senior Software Engineer
Location: Remote USA
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our Data Engineering team! In this role you’d be responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of our data pipeline and end user API endpoints related to the data pipeline, and work in collaboration with other teams like Data Science and Platform. If you have Go (or Scala/Java), Cloud, and distributed systems experience we would love to talk with you and please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We value diversity in the workplace and encourage women, minorities, and veterans to apply. Thank you!
Job Type: FTE
More About The Team
The team builds upon Google BigTable, Google PubSub, Google Cloud Storage, Etcd, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, and writes systems in Go which are deployed into Google Kubernetes Engine.
Data Engineering is a team of distributed systems engineers; we’re looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
• Has 5+ years of experience with concurrent programming in a distributed system
• Has experience writing data-intensive server side systems
• Has experience with lexers, parsers, and interpreters, preferably in the area of event stream evaluation
• Is proficient in Go or would like to learn Go but is an expert in another language
• Has experience with a distributed NoSQL database like Cassandra, BigTable, or Dynamo
• Has experience with stream processing systems like Spark or Storm Streaming, or has experience with map reduce like systems
• Has experience with persistent queues like Kafka, Google PubSub, AWS Kinesis or AWS SQS
• Has ability to communicate sensitively and attentively
• Has ability to communicate complex technical designs in written form
• Be a key contributor to the development of data processing pipeline in all aspects such as availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, metrics, and future directions in its design
• Work with team members to design, document, and implement large-scale distributed streams and batch processes for petabytes of data using Go
• Provide tooling and infrastructure for other internal teams, including Engineering, Customer Success, and Sales
You will be working on a small team of talented and passionate engineers. Since the team is small, each individual is given a lot of freedom and responsibility to manage their day-to-day activities. Our projects are not spec sheets handed down to the engineering teams; they are open-ended problem statements that are solved and implemented by the same people.
We are also serious about testing and automation. We want to focus on shipping great features and iterating on our designs. Because of this, continuous integration and continuous deployment are both very important to us. You will get to take advantage of this on Day One.
We are committed to communicating projects and transparency. GitHub is our primary tool for source control, code review, issue tracking, and project planning. Everyone in our organization is given access to be a part of the conversation. For everything else, there is Slack.
We value the developer community at large and believe that the best way for the world to have great software is if great minds are sharing. This is why we find ways to take the tools we write and turn them into open source projects usable by other people facing similar challenges.
• A self-learner, critical thinker and problem-solving individual
• A self-starter with an ability to keep focus, request input at appropriate times, and deliver
• Software engineering knowledge in data structures, concurrent programming, distributed systems, and query processing
Should You Apply?
Well, yes! If you don’t think you meet all the recommended requirements, that’s okay! If you are excited about Go, stream processing, distributed systems, data processing, machine learning, and/or marketing, we would love to chat; we may have an opportunity for you. Be sure to include a link to your GitHub or other accessible samples of your work.
You will be working in a company with tons of talent, that is in a rapidly growing space with plenty of opportunity. Since we are not a large company you will be able to learn everyone’s name, and knowledge transfers quickly across the entire company. In addition our team is professional, open with sharing ideas and leadership is more than ready to help provide guidance on making you successful.
We recruit and reward employees based on performance and capability, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, educational background, national origin, religion, or physical ability.
Our goal is to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work. We know that the best ideas & the best solutions happen when people bring their uniqueness to work with them. Inclusion is an integral part of how we leverage that uniqueness into our company. Creating a culture of equality and respect isn’t just the right thing to do, it’s also the smart thing. Diverse companies are more innovative and better positioned to succeed in emerging technologies.