Location: Portland, OR
They help students, teachers, and schools excel in a digital world. Supporting school districts as they transition to digital content by providing tools to build and share custom digital curriculum. More than 1,200 school districts across the U.S. trust them to equip their K-8 students with the digital literacy skills they need for success in high school and beyond. If working to help make education better excites you - please send your resume to email@example.com. We value diversity in the workplace and encourage women, minorities, and veterans to apply. Thank you.
Job Type: FTE
We’re looking for a talented Software Engineer – Front End with an affinity for developing delightful user experiences. Our web-based software and content is focused on the K-8 education market and is user facing for school administrators, teachers, and students.
Our development is built around Agile processes like Scrum and Kanban. As a member of an Agile team, you will be responsible for helping us reach shared goals and taking initiative to contribute. Every team member participates in all phases of our iterative, user-centered software development process. It starts by empathizing with our target personas and understanding the challenges they face as educators and students. From there, teams define a set of problems and work together to create solutions. Next comes prototyping and validation to gather feedback. Finally, implementation and re-validation of released work helps inform future cycles. All along the way, teams move forward and back between these phases to achieve results that can meet our product and business goals.
During our development cycle your responsibilities will fluctuate between planning and design, estimation, coding and implementation, user and functional testing, release support, and ongoing production support of our products.
• Empathize with the needs of our customers (such as teachers, students, and school administrators)
• Collaborate with UX Architect to create delightful, technically feasible interfaces
• Convert finalized prototypes into dynamic applications using appropriate technologies
• Refine user stories with product owner and/or stakeholders
• Work as part of an Agile software development team
• Write efficient and testable code
• Track your progress within our software issue tracking system (Jira)
• Provide clear and consistent communication about status of your work
• Give and receive feedback during peer code reviews
• Participate in release activities and provide support for completed work
• Be self-motivated and work with minimal supervision
• Observe, identify, and do what is needed to move us forward
• Between 3-5 years of experience building interactive web-based applications
o Education can substitute for up to 1 year of work experience
• Demonstrated proficiency with the following:
o Implementing complex web applications using Angular2+ (Currently we use version 8)
o Integration with web services to create dynamic web applications
o Building engaging and effective UI/UX
• Experience with the following would be a plus:
o Design-thinking or human-centered design practices
o Developing web services
o Developing with C# and/or .NET Core
o Data storage techniques using NoSQL or relational database methods
o Gamification, game development, and/or game-based learning
o Cloud - Hosted AWS