Location: Remote (near Portland, OR)
Are you passionate about using your IT Engineer skills to help great independent artists make a living doing what they love without giving control of their careers? Our client is looking for a collaborative, skilled IT Engineer with expertise in .Net and cloud systems. If you’re interested in this role, please do submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We value diversity in the workplace and encourage women, minorities, and veterans to apply. Thank you!
Job Type: FTE
About the Environment:
Our client uses technologies running Windows, and Linux distros underpinned with VMWare. Networking from Cisco and Ubiquiti. Servers and storage from Dell. Applications based on .NET and MS SQL, as well as LAMP. You’ll also have a chance to get in on the ground floor of our forays into the cloud, with Azure and AWS as well as SaaS solutions.
Their focus? Quality, consistency, and continual improvement, each in the context of our customers; they provide all the systems and infrastructure to make it happen!
About the IT Engineer Job:
• Architecting cloud solutions built on AWS and Azure, along with administering and securing existing cloud infrastructure.
• Developing and implementing automation frameworks – taking manual processes and turning them into something admins/engineers don’t have to touch.
• Primarily VMWare + Microsoft shop, although there is plenty of Linux work, plus Cisco and Ubiquiti networking, Dell Storage and Servers, and F5 edge security devices.
• You’ll participate in and drive project initiatives that support the team’s overarching tech objectives, along with working side-by-side with folks across the organization to help them realize their goals using our technology.
• You’ll help shape the next generation of the infrastructure using the foundations they have in place today. Think things like hybrid cloud technologies, SaaS integrations, and DevOps.
• Working with the Systems Operations team on keeping Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, backup systems, monitoring systems, and other office-productivity-centric infrastructure systems alive and well.
• A Subject Matter Expert, and work with more junior resources to help them support the work that you are doing.
• Continuously learning…the world is dynamic and there will always be something new to know.
What We are Looking for in YOU-
• AWS/Azure full- stack (from networking, to vms, to DBs and security, to cloud native services) design, architecture, and implementation experience. Certifications are a huge bonus.
• Understanding of industry security practices, including zero-trust, MFA, user behavior analytics, inter-datacenter encryption/decryption.
• Demonstratable experience in installation, administration and troubleshooting of server operating environments from Microsoft (Windows) and open-source Linux (mostly Ubuntu, some CentOS).
• Demonstratable experience in VMware vSphere/vCenter enterprise-level design and administration.
• Solid and demonstratable understanding of core storage concepts (SAN, NAS, DAS, RAID levels, storage networking, performance monitoring and troubleshooting, best-practice design).
• Experience in on-premise infrastructure and facilities administration and support (hardware, rack and power, environmental).
• Experience with Microsoft O365, including implementation and administration.
• Active Directory and related technologies; domain controller management and design, DNS, DHCP, Group Policy.
• Relational databases (SQL Server (2005 through 2019), MySQL/MariaDB) as it relates to systems and infrastructure (performance, security, availability).
• Knowledge of one or more scripting technologies (PowerShell, Python, PHP, batch scripting).
It would be swell if you also had experience in:
• Knowledge of Automation and its implementation, using platforms like Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc. along with their management and instrumentation.
• Administration of F5 Networks devices and modules (LTM, ASM)
• Administration of Cisco Nexus and/or Ubiquiti Networks networking gear.
• Knowledge and experience of implementing and administering containers (Docker, Kubernetes, vSphere Native Containers, Openstack Magnum, etc).
• Experience with Microsoft’s RDS farms + RemoteApps, or similar VDI technologies (Citrix, VMWare, etc.)
• Experience working with web server technologies (IIS/LAMP).
• Threat hunts and vulnerability assessments.
Bonus points if you’ve got any of the following:
• Programming experience, for both backend and web-based front-end platforms.
• Knowledge or experience with Microsoft Dynamics AX and/or 365.
• Symantec/Veritas backup and endpoint protection products.
• Solarwinds monitoring and alerting solutions (SAM, SRM, VMAN).
• Open Networking – ie. BigSwitch, Cumulus, etc.
• Experience with CDNs like Cloudfront, Akamai, Cloudflare, etc. including Anycast routing, and cache design policies.
• Desire to dig-deep into challenges, figure out a plan, and execute that plan.
• Ability to prioritize your time and focus on quality delivery as you make commitments.
• Communication, both written and verbal, that’s clear and speaks to the target audience. There may be opportunity to do trainings for technical and non-technical audiences, and you’ll have a chance to showcase your work on a regular basis to the entire organization.
• Ability and desire to create and update documentation as the need arises.
• Agile Scrum and/or Kanban-based project management frameworks and toolsets experience will go a long way.
• Be an independent as well as a team player as needed; be able to “cross the aisle” and work with other technical and non-technical professionals with an eye for solutions.
• College degree is nice, but not required.
What Working Here is Going to be Like:
• Due to existing conditions this position is 99% remote for the time-being. Normal worksite is our Portland office. There may be some on-site work even during this time with visits to the Datacenter/physical projects as needed (very rare).
• Travel to offsite locations and transport of hardware may be required.
• We are a 24x7x365 operation, so you’ll be providing on-call coverage on a rotating basis.
• Schedule will generally be business hours/business days but is subject to change with short notice.
• Work on holidays and weekends on occasion required.