Location: Beaverton, OR
We are a fast-growing company with development centers on both the east and west coast providing onshore Agile application solutions. Using a Moneyball-like, analytics-based approach to team assembly that is optimized to fit with each client’s organizational culture, we offer highly effective teams that can collaborate face to face at any client site across the US, or communicate in real time from its development centers. Our belief in effective Agile through collaboration and data-driven team assembly are at the heart of our promise – better and faster Agile software development services, onshore and on-target. If you’re interested, please send us your resume to email@example.com. We value diversity in the workplace and encourage women, minorities, and veterans to apply. Thank you!
Job Type: FTE
We are in need of a Principal/Senior Technical Project Manager in Beaverton, Oregon to lead teams of technical professionals as they collaborate with clients to deliver innovative software solutions. Principal/Senior Technical Project Managers oversee and manage operational execution of multiple software projects across multiple clients, or within large, strategic clients with multiple concurrent projects. They have the abilities required to not only manage the project overall, but also to provide input on solution development, and to dive into the code and development process to verify code quality and sound technical execution and delivery. We are looking for people who enjoy fast-paced and collaborative environments, who enjoy tackling interesting technical challenges, and who are interested in helping lead the next major innovation in building and supporting software.
Our Technical Project Managers are seasoned professionals on the front lines of Agile software delivery – they consult with clients, manage software delivery, and oversee the execution of multiple projects to make sure we meet client expectations, deliver with quality and efficiency, and become trusted partners. They own software delivery outcomes and act as liaisons between clients and delivery teams, making sure that projects are successful and that teams are enabled to deliver with excellence. Principal/Senior Technical Project Managers drive both project success and client satisfaction by communicating flawlessly, delivering to commitments, recognizing and managing risks and issues, aligning clients and teams to best practices, ensuring technical quality, solving problems, encouraging innovation and providing thought leadership.
Analysis and Solution Definition
- Quickly understands clients’ business issues and technical challenges as well as their organization and industry.
- Collaborates with Product Owner to understand and define the product roadmap and minimum viable product (MVP) for a project. Understands and supervises the production of requirements, specifications, and recommendations related to proposed solutions.
- Understands quality functional requirements and specifications for software solutions.
- Understands the business domain and technical domain well enough to understand and respond to domain-specific risks.
- Responsible for enforcement of project deadlines and schedules, running a fiscally successful project, and managing project scope. Communicates and applies project/delivery standards.
- Matrix-manages multi-disciplinary project teams (developers, DBAs, network operations, QA, BSAs).
- Manages Agile (Scrum/Kanban) software delivery practices and events, including sprint planning, retrospective, backlog refinement and estimation, and release planning. Identifies action items and tracks them to completion.
- Breaks down barriers for team, removes impediments and blockers, and enables team success.
- Creates and/or manages project reporting (status reports, work-back plans, burn-down charts, project plans, stakeholder analysis, etc.).
- Ensures team deliverables meet quality standards.
- Minimizes exposure and risk on project - spots warning signs of things going off-course and provides a decisive response to software delivery challenges in order to mitigate risk and avoid crisis.
- Manages the day-to-day operational and tactical aspects of multiple or large scale projects.
- Oversees managers working on client projects within portfolio.
- Reviews and ensures the quality of both internal-facing and client-facing deliverables across projects.
- Understands and drives software development lifecycle.
- Leads quarterly planning and roadmap review meetings.
- Works directly with software development teams to ensure commitments are met and software is delivered reliably and predictably.
- Ensures information is flowing appropriately and is observed and consumed by the team in order to improve software delivery practices and client satisfaction.
- Coaches team through best practices in software project delivery.
- Exerts influence within team to resolve team dynamics issues and create high-performing teams.
- Escalates issues and risks when appropriate; coordinates risk response, leveraging additional resources as needed
Consulting and Client Relationship Management
- Develops strong relationships with client stakeholders, leading to partnership and collaboration around delivery risks and issues.
- Communicates effectively with clients to identify business needs and evaluate alternative solutions.
- Continually seeks opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Manages client expectations effectively.
- Grows long-term relationships with clients and capitalizes on partnership opportunities.
- Participates in proposal efforts, including LOE assessments and statements of work.
- Exemplifies consulting and client success mindset; promotes a culture of making sure client needs are met and clients are satisfied with outcomes.
- Confidently engages client and project stakeholders to drive consensus, solidify success criteria, and generate commitment to goals.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement in client processes and tactfully advocates for action.
- Facilitates team and client meetings.
- Delivers informative, well-organized presentations.
- Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Facilitates decision making and conflict resolution.
- Acts as a liaison between technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Holds status meetings, roadmap planning and quarterly reviews with key client stakeholders
- Educates/mentors employees on various aspects of project management and software delivery.
- Identifies, manages and resolves critical issues with ease.
- Exhibits confidence and an extensive knowledge of industry practices when solving business problems.
- Pushes creative thinking beyond the boundaries of existing industry practices and client mindsets.
- Adapts standard processes to circumstances.
- Work with other departments and Engagement Managers to continually refine and improve our solution delivery.
- Makes difficult decisions by pragmatically weighing the complexities involved against the need to act quickly and decisively. Pushes decision-making to the right levels within the team; prevents unnecessary bureaucracy and structure from suppressing innovation and delivery
- Has technical aptitude to read and review code and ensure code quality and alignment to coding standards
- Identifies patterns and anti-patterns at both the code and high-level design levels; proactively corrects issues and coaches team to align to best practices and deliver with quality and excellence
- Understands and ensures adherence to non-functional requirements
- Ability to contribute code to projects, if necessary, is a big plus
- Coordinates User Acceptance Testing efforts.
- Ensures issues are identified, tracked, reported on and resolved in a timely manner.
- Works with client stakeholders to identify required changes.
- Leads team through cycles of release candidate creation, testing, client feedback and iteration in preparation for Production releases.
Culture and Leadership
- Leads by example.
- Encourages a culture of innovation focused on continuous improvement and adding value.
- Takes responsibility for both personal and team performance and success.
- Demonstrates action orientation by moving decisively, learning from mistakes, and taking initiative.
- Communicates and listens actively to build relationships and eliminate misunderstandings
- Strives to set the standard and perform at the highest level in all activities.
- Provides constructive feedback to team, peers and senior management in order to drive personal, professional and organizational growth.
- Brings out the best in team members by giving enthusiastic and encouraging messages about priorities, objectives and expectations
- Maintains effective team performance in difficult and challenging circumstances
- Possesses a solid understanding of software requirements management, user experience design, application programming and system design.
- Has a high level understanding of software systems and architectures.
- Proven in-depth, hands-on experience with Agile/Scrum/Lean software development methods, including the ability to lead stand-up meetings, backlog refinement sessions, retrospectives and sprint planning.
- Deep experience with coding and technical delivery across multiple programming languages, frameworks, and databases.
- Ability to oversee requirements/backlog management activities
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ethical, organized and trustworthy.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Strong facilitation and negotiation skills.
- Proven abilities in team leadership and influencing others for success.
- Proven experience balancing multiple priorities and dealing with ambiguity
- Ability to teach/mentor others around best practices project management and software delivery.
- Ability to read and evaluate code, ensure excellence in code quality, and identify and resolve team issues related to technical delivery.
- Experience in using/administering an issue management system (Jira, Rally, VersionOne, etc.).
- Certifications in project management (PMP, CAPM) and/or Agile disciplines (PMI-ACP, CSM, CSP, CSPO) are a big plus.