Location: Beaverton, OR
Our client is one of the Industry leaders in the Electronic Freight Posting business. Your experience as a Database Administrator will be directly helping goods and products get transported all over the nation and beyond. This company truly values its employees and believes in strong work-life balance. They have a beautiful office specifically designed to be Agile/Scrum and collaboration friendly. If this is the kind of position and company you’d be interested in - please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We value and encourage diversity in the workplace and women, minorities, and veterans are highly encouraged to apply. Thank you.
Job Type: FTE
The Database Administrator will report to the Manager of Enterprise Data Management Systems and be directly responsible for database operations, deployment, monitoring, issue resolution and uptime of our mission-critical applications. The company relies on this role to deliver on high levels of system availability and performance that our customers need to run their businesses.
The Database Administrator will be responsible for collaborating with product delivery teams to plan the deployment of data resources and the successful transition into ongoing operations. Other duties include following company policies and collaborating with team members.
Our platforms deal with an extraordinary amount of traffic, handling tens of millions of daily transactions. We have a big investment primarily in the Oracle databases (OLTP & Data Warehouse), as well as Microsoft SQL Server and MongoDB. To support these, we operate a large infrastructure in a Hybrid environment (on-premises and Cloud). We use best in class infrastructure, heavily leveraging VMware, Oracle Database Appliance (ODA), Linux and NetApp.
Database Administrator Primary Responsibilities
- Responsible for day-to-day administration of all database operations including monitoring, security, configuration, clustering, backup and recovery, high availability and performance and tuning. The DBA will work with the other teams (Developers, Analysts, Data Scientists) to deliver the optimal investment in automation, monitoring and triage tools
- Participate in the production on-call DBA rotation
- Responsible for the long term care and feeding of our databases, addressing areas of capacity planning, licensing, patching, installations, SOX compliance and upgrades
- Provide 24x7 technical on-call support for the database engineering team. With minimal supervision, the candidate is capable of assessing an ambiguous, complex problem, finding a concrete solution, building a recovery plan, communicating the progress to the plan while resolving the problem
- Actively participate in the assessment, recommendation and migration of new data management technologies such as Cloud DW (Redshift, Snowflake or Oracle ADW) or NoSQL related technologies
- Participate on project teams with other administrators, architects, data engineers and developers as we move parts of our infrastructure to cloud-based platforms
- Establish organization-wide relationships and serve as database technical consultant
Database Administrator Required Skills and Qualifications
- Seeking at least 5 years of experience as a database administrator
- Experience with RAC, OEM, Data Guard, and Oracle patching
- Should have proven experience working in and administering Cloud DW (such as Oracle ADW, Redshift or Snowflake)
- Experience with cloud database migrations and management
- Candidate must have experience with database security, performance monitoring and tuning, migrations, storage and capacity planning
- Candidate will collaborate with key stakeholders in the design of enterprise architecture solutions and systems in complex environments
- Must have experience with large-scale, high availability database solutions, clustering, and off-site disaster recovery
- PL/SQL scripting and debugging expertise
Database Administrator Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server and database mirroring
- Experience with NoSQL solutions or ecosystems, such as MongoDB or Hadoop