Location: Portland OR/Baltimore MD
We are looking for an Engineering Manager and we hope this role piques your interest! We are a fast-growing company with development centers across the United States, providing onshore Agile application solutions nationwide, and we are looking for an Engineering Manager. Our belief in effective Agile through collaboration and data-driven team assembly are at the heart of our promise – better and faster Agile software development services, onshore and on-target. If this sounds like the challenge you seek, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We value diversity in the workplace and encourage women, minorities, and veterans to apply. Thank you!
Job Type: FTE
Overview of Role
We are seeking experienced Engineering Manager to lead a development team in the successful completion of all client engagement efforts. Client engagements could involve staff augmentation at all levels of skill across all fields of expertise, full or partial project delivery/responsibility using our agile team/s, quality assurance/engineering, architectural guidance at the enterprise or solution level, or the management of an aspect of a client’s production system or testing services as part of the our ‘Managed Service’ offering. The Engineering Managers team may be wholly with one client covering one or more engagements or dispersed across multiple clients working alongside other development teams.
For each staff augmentation contract or project engagement the Engineering Manager will solicit performance feedback on members of their team from the Technical Leads, Project Manager, if assigned, or our Client Success Manager (CSM).
The Engineering Manager will develop both developers and technical leads to be ‘best in class’ technicians, bringing to each client deep knowledge steeped in industry best practice. They will create growth opportunities for Technical Leads and other technical team mates and schedule ongoing training from time to time in billable fields of expertise. They will coordinate Technical Leads for the support of Sales in pre-contract client meetings.
While advocating for delivery success and the ongoing expansion of the engagement relationship, the Engineering Manager will build relationships with their client Engineering / Development Manager counterpart/s while partnering closely with our onsite Client Success Manager who will advocate for the client’s needs.
Where our Client Success Manager has not yet been assigned, the Engineering Manager will build relationships, establishing and maintain a consultative partnership with an eye to achieving client retention and satisfying objectives.
The Engineering Manager has the authority to hire and fire in collaboration with People Ops and will coordinate the evaluation of employee performance at review time.
The ideal Engineering Manager candidate is someone with an innate understanding of what it takes to mentor a team to success. This person possesses the ability to see the bigger picture while understanding the detail across the team/s.
Engineering Managers build team trust and credibility by foreseeing issues others may not, facilitating discussions to craft solutions for the client, providing thought leadership and offering strategic advice. They deliver proven value at the individual engagement level for both clients and us internally by leveraging a depth of experience in software design and development and the management of production systems.
Engineering Managers drive team success by leveraging industry best practices in Design Thinking, software development methodologies such as agile/scrum, quality engineering enabling automated testing and DevOps for clients where it makes sense.
Experience in software delivery is critical – this role must understand the operational execution of and challenges around how enterprise back-ends, web and mobile applications are built, enhanced and modernized.
Engineering Managers welcome complex challenges and relish the opportunity to consult with clients to solve their problems and transform their approach to application development and maintenance.
- Engineering Managers are responsible for ensuring each member of their team has a career plan, understands the key objectives of the company and those of the Development organization as well as his/her own personal objectives and is accountable for expected key results.
- Engineering Managers should conduct frequent/scheduled 1/1 discussions regarding the tracking of objectives to plan and to understand each person’s workload in detail with an eye to removing obstacles impeding progress.
- Create and maintain an environment that enables delivery teams and individual team mates to meet or exceed the deliverables on each Statement Of Work, striving for improved Net Promoter Score (NPS) results.
- Determine resourcing and skill set requirements and opens staffing requests and participate actively in our hiring process.
- Solicit and strive to create consensus on hiring and firing decisions with appropriate stakeholders.
- Align with onsite Client Success Manager (CSM) and execute on client retention strategies.
- Collaborate on engagement contracts and proposals, including statements of work, renewals, extensions and RFP/RFI responses as needed.
- Assist the CSM in the identification of new opportunities within existing accounts.
- Where a team is engaged in what could be a multiyear or indefinite engagement, then build and maintain domain expertise within your client’s markets and industries.
- Work with the CSM and/or Project Management Organization (PMO) to understand team performance metrics and resolve any issues with individual and team performance. Understand synthesized findings from PMO/CSM and take appropriate action.
- Work with CSM to provide advice, thought leadership and added value to client organizations.
- Understand the client's business goals and technical environment, including the high-level architecture, technologies, languages and frameworks being used by the client.
- Provide feedback to fellow team members professionally and constructively, and actively seek feedback for professional improvement and growth.
Client Relationship Management
- Partner with the CSM to help develop and maintain effective and productive relationships with all key decision makers and influencers within the client organization.
- If a CSM has not been assigned to the client then work with the PMO to leverage our methodologies and best practices to support client on-boarding, consulting and ongoing opportunity discovery.
- Work with CSM to resolve all identified issues and risks associated with client satisfaction and retention.
- Work with CSM to resolve any client escalations by offering key resources and assistance.
- Manage client expectations effectively.
Required Skills and Experience
- 10+ years of experience in managing and leading software development teams.
- 5 years leading technology organizations of 25 or more direct reports.
- Experience in staffing organization is a MUST
- Strong technical background, remains current with frameworks and methodologies of today.
- Proven experience with and understanding of application development and software delivery, including and understanding of software delivery lifecycle (SDLC), agile software development and DevOps.
- Possesses a solid understanding of software requirements management, user experience design, application programming and system design.
- Experience in contract definition and negotiation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to ability to effectively communicate with executives.
- Excellent communication, presentation and facilitation skills, with the ability to explain technical subjects and concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to deliver results under pressure, work independently, and take ownership of relationships and responsibilities.
- Proven track record of meeting or exceeding performance and retention goals.
- Strong critical thinking and situational awareness.
- Software project experience a definite plus, preferably in a consulting environment.
- Strong analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to quickly build trust and rapport.
Self-motivated with a strong sense of accountability.
- Ability to develop long-term strategic and executive-level relationships
- Ethical, organized and trustworthy.
- Willingness to travel as required (typically less than 25%)