Location: Lake Oswego, OR
This privately held organization has been a pioneer in the embedded medical device industry enhancing the quality of life for millions of individuals living with cardiovascular disorders. The company is dedicated to the design and construction of implantable medical devices for cardiac rhythm management. With more than 30 years of experience, their growing success is based on strong core values – innovation, excellence and reliability, thus enabling them to inspire confidence and trust in doctors and patients all over the world. If you desire to work for an organization where you can feel good about the mission and core values and help create something that literally gives life to others, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We value diversity in the workplace and encourage women, minorities, and veterans to apply. Thank you!
Job Type: Contract
We’re looking for a Data Center Engineer with a track record of managing a complex data center. This is a technical position with our Information Technology Group at our North American headquarters. The successful candidate will have broad knowledge and expertise in solution design and deployment in the area of data center management, as well as managing multi-site data center operations with a heavily virtualized infrastructure. The main focus of the role is to deliver top quality service operations of our IT infrastructure by setting and operating towards service levels, identifying gaps, defining requirements, contributing to continuous improvements and manage the successful deployment of new solutions.
We are modernizing our data center services to become a private cloud service provider for our internal customers, which also includes the expansion to new geographies within the Americas and integration with other data centers within the company.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a seasoned individual to excel and help in establishing new standards and data center capabilities for the future of our company.
• End-to-end coverage of all related infrastructure areas: Servers, OS, Storage, Network, Security & Compliance, Monitoring, Quality Assurance, Reporting/Service Delivery and Governance, which include evaluating, planning, deploying and operating respective system components.
• Design efficient and reliable processes for installing / rebuilding and architecting existing servers, virtual infrastructure, network, configuring services, directories and enterprise storage in accordance with organizations standards and project requirements.
• Identify and implement efficient and reliable system standards, processes around risks and early detection, and apply best practices in effective monitoring.
• Oversee daily system monitoring. This includes verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, and services, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
• Identify processes, and if possible, automate means of performing regular security monitoring to identify possible intrusions.
• Build contingency plans for, and oversee recovery from system failures.
• Individual should have the ability to support and maintain heterogeneous production environments and must be able to understand issues and efficiently troubleshoot them.
• Support setup and maintenance of KPIs and SLAs.
• Participate in after-hours support
• Support the Data Center Manager in financial activities such as forecasting, procurement, cost management
• Establish and maintain vendor relations
• Tactical team management
• Business case management
• Communication with other IT groups and business stake holders
Management of Deployment Projects
• Support long-term planning and lead individual project planning and -execution considering resource- and budget availability, as well as business goals and requirements and implement
Strategy and Systems Architecture
• Work closely with architects, IT Management and external partners to identify, plan and implement proper technologies
• Contribute to a roadmap for the North America data centers
• Document all aspects and components of the Data Center Operations (as-is, to-be)
• Research and recommend innovative, and if possible, automated approaches for IT tasks.
• Provide business cases and proposals for new technology initiatives to stakeholders on various levels (technical, end users, executive management, financial decision makers
• Drive the increase of the data center service levels and customer experience
• Should have 5-10+ years of in-depth working knowledge of server-, network- and storage technologies (Microsoft, VMWare, CISCO Network, HP- and IBM Storage products, amongst others)
• Should have proficiency and recent hands-on experience in Systems Administration, Storage Design and Administration
• Should be extremely proficient with VMware & Virtualization Technologies, SDDC technologies and Enterprise Storage Systems.
• Should have exceptional communication skills and ability to work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders (including senior-level decision makers)
• Should be able to work independently, yet be a great team player in a flexible and fast paced business environment.
Required Technical Skills: (Certifications preferred)
• VMware, HP and IBM Storage Management, Backups, Windows- and Linux Server
• Cisco Networking (LAN)
• WAN Technologies (MPLS)
• Data Center Automation
• Data Center Infrastructure Operations (Power, Cabling, Cooling) Operations
• Desktop Virtualization
• Business Continuity an Disaster Recovery concepts
• Web Hosting
• Data Base Management
• Service Provisioning and Cloud Computing
• Experienced with team environment with both individual and shared goals.
• Experienced with change management processes including documentation and risk management. Manufacturing support experience a plus.
• Experienced with tactically leading small teams including prioritizing activities for self and others.
• Experienced with regular concise reporting of key infrastructure indicators
• Excellent interpersonal- and communication skills (written and verbal), including presentation to customers, peers, and senior/executive management.
• Flexibility, commitment and follow through
• Excellent analytical- and troubleshooting skills
• Compliance (FDA, HIPAA, ISO)
• ITIL (experience in ITIL-based environments and/or certification) would be a plus
• German language skill would be a plus
Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Business Administration (BA/BS), MBA preferred or relevant experience (5-10+ years)