Location: Portland, OR
We are seeking a Senior Business Systems Analyst (BSA) in Portland, OR to own solution definition and manage requirements for agile software projects focused on healthcare transactions, data transformation, and reporting. If this sounds like you, we would love to talk with you so please send your resume to email@example.com. We value and encourage diversity in the workplace and women, minorities, and veterans are highly encouraged to apply. Thank you!
Job Type: FTE
More about this role:
The BSA works closely with clients to understand their business needs, key stakeholders, technology needs and product vision. By bridging the gap between client business stakeholders and the development team, the BSA makes sure that development efforts are well-guided and deliver value.
The ideal BSA candidate is someone with a deep understanding of what it takes to build out a requirements backlog that is clear, concise, accurate, and represents requirements at the right level of detail. Given the technical nature of the role, the BSA must be competent and comfortable working on the technical aspects of software projects as well, diving into the details of systems, interfaces, APIs, data structures and mapping, querying, and scripting. The ideal BSA is also adept at communication and facilitation; he or she knows how to bring people together to solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions.
Experience in software delivery is critical – this role must understand the operational execution of and challenges around how enterprise, web and mobile applications are built, enhanced and modernized. BSAs welcome complex challenges and relish the opportunity to consult with clients to solve their problems and transform their approach to requirements management and product ownership.
BSAs build trust by communicating flawlessly, establishing trust and credibility, delivering to their commitments, understanding problems, crafting solutions, providing thought leadership and offering observations and recommendations to improve clients’ requirements management practices.
Our Business Systems Analysts are professionals on the front lines of agile software delivery – they consult with clients and stakeholders, elicit and model requirements, verify requirements quality, validate requirements accuracy, and ensure that development teams have excellent, stable requirements to build software from. Technical BSAs drive both project success and client satisfaction by communicating flawlessly, delivering to commitments, recognizing and managing risks and issues, aligning clients and teams to best practices, solving problems, encouraging innovation and providing thought leadership.
Business Systems Analysis and Requirements Management
- Quickly understands clients’ business issues and technical challenges as well as their organization and industry.
- Collaborates with client Product Owner to understand and define the product roadmap and minimum viable product (MVP) for a project. Understands and supervises the production of requirements, specifications, and recommendations related to proposed solutions.
- Reviews, analyzes and revises requirements, specifications, business processes and recommendations related to proposed solutions.
- Creates and delivers quality requirements of all types – business, stakeholder, functional, non-functional and transition - for software solutions.
- Expertly documents and refines requirements in the models appropriate for the client and project, e.g., user stories & acceptance criteria, scenarios and use cases, data models, data flow diagrams, process models, scope models, sequence diagrams, state diagrams, API documentation, etc.
- Capably leads and facilitates requirements-related events and activities, e.g., brainstorming sessions, story mapping, focus groups, interviews, observation, interface analysis, requirements workshops, structured walkthroughs, backlog grooming and estimation, etc.
- Ensures that requirements are of impeccable quality, meaning that they are correct, consistent, complete, cohesive, modifiable, unambiguous, feasible, independent, negotiable, verifiable, estimable, sized appropriately and testable.
- Works with clients to appropriately organize and prioritize all requirements.
- Maintains a backlog of 2 sprints’ worth of fully defined, estimated, dev-ready cards/stories for the project team.
- Ensures deliverables meet quality standards.
- Reviews and ensures the quality of both internal-facing and client-facing deliverables.
- Understands the software development lifecycle.
- Coaches team through best practices in requirements management.
Consulting and Client Relationship Management
- Understands the business domain and technical domain well enough to understand and respond to domain-specific risks.
- Develops strong relationships with client stakeholders, leading to partnership and collaboration around requirements risks and issues.
- Communicates effectively with clients to identify business needs and evaluate solutions.
- Continually seeks opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Manages client expectations effectively.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement in client processes and tactfully advocates for action.
- Facilitates team and client meetings.
- Delivers informative, well-organized presentations.
- Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Facilitates decision making, conflict resolution and clear understanding of trade-offs.
- Acts as a liaison between technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Identifies, manages and resolves critical issues with ease.
- Exhibits confidence and knowledge of industry practices when resolving project issues.
Culture and Leadership
- Leads by example.
- Takes responsibility for personal performance and success.
- Demonstrates action orientation by moving decisively, learning from mistakes, and taking initiative.
- Communicates and listens actively to build relationships and eliminate misunderstandings
- Strives to set the standard and perform at the highest level in all activities.
- Provides constructive feedback to team, peers and senior management in order to drive personal, professional and organizational growth.
- Possesses an expert understanding of software requirements management, and a solid understanding of user experience design, application programming and system design.
- Has a high-level understanding of software systems and architectures.
- Proven in-depth, hands-on experience with Agile/Scrum/Lean software development methods, including the ability to lead and execute all software requirements/backlog management activities.
- Proven success in leading requirements management activities for new application development and/or application modernization/re-write projects.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ethical, organized and trustworthy.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Proven experience balancing multiple priorities and dealing with ambiguity.
- Ability to teach/mentor others around best practices in business systems analysis and requirements management.
- Experience in using/administering an issue management system (Jira, Rally, VersionOne, etc.).
- Certification in business analysis (CCBA, CBAP, PMI-PBA) is a big plus.
- Certification in agile disciplines and/or agile product ownership (PMI-ACP, CSPO, SAFe POPM) are a plus.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Proven competency and comfort working on the technical aspects of software projects and systems analysis, including diving into the details of systems, interfaces, APIs, data structures and mapping, querying, and scripting.
- Proven competency interpreting and delivering elements of systems design, including data migration rules, business rules, data models, API documentation and service contracts.
- Proven competency in data analysis, data mapping and SQL querying, and in performing data manipulation through data conversion scripting.
- Familiarity with programming languages and software development strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in IT / Computer Science, mathematics, or other technical discipline preferred.